Friday, November 26, 2010

57. Ron Preston – Proprietor – Preston’s Filling Station (and Motel)


Lincoln Highway

Belle Plaine, Iowa

September 21, 2010

Established in 1923 the station is now overseen by son Ron who is 63 years old. Ron had been a trucker and as he told me he had been in all of the states except Alaska and Maine. He moved back to Belle Plaine (from Kansas City) upon retirement to take care of the family house and the station. He told me that folks from all over come by to have a look at the station including lots of folks from Europe who are passing through. He also told me that he had been laid up for the last month due to a ruptured Achilles Tendon which he had repaired at the V.A. As I was about to leave he invited me in and gave me a few old photos that he had of the station. He also told me about the best road to see the most famous bridge on the Lincoln Highway (built in 1915) known as The Lincoln Highway Bridge (in Tama, Iowa).

No comments:

Post a Comment